It's surprising how often we get asked for advice on logo design at PropertyADD. Possibly because our Express package and website combo is very popular with start-up estate agents.
Of course, we do have a couple of designers that we know, like and are keen to recommend, such as Gareth at Dot Design. However, start-ups are often working to a tight budget where professional logo design feels like a bit of a stretch.
It's worth remembering that brand recognition is very important in an industry like estate agency and that makes your logo a big deal. Professionals are experts and already know all of the logo design basics, but if you just can't afford one, here are my tips for some cheaper alternatives:
- Use one of the myriad of cheap (under £100) online logo design companies out there. http://www.logoinn.co.uk/ is one firm that has been mentioned to us more than once in the past and whilst some of the logos are a bit basic, you can at least take a look at their portfolio and revise what they produce until you are happy.
- If you have a bit more time, consider running a logo contest at http://www.logomyway.com/. From $200 upwards, you can have designers submit their ideas and then pick from the best.
- Use a student from your local college or university. You can get ideas to help you explain what you are looking for from resources such as:
- http://www.logobliss.com/ (which has links to the designers).
- Searching for logo style icons on iStockPhoto, such as http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-illustration-12829967-abstract-design-elements.php.
- 73 essential logo tips.
Don't forget my previous blog on colour psychology either!